Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Good Feeling

I like giving back, and I like donating. I have done one or two yard sales in my day and I HATE THEM. I would rather have my stuff hauled away, get a tax deduction and know my stuff is going to a good cause. I would rather have that than cold hard cash- funny huh? I also am a S-U-C-K-E-R for fundraisers and the such. Have a kid selling light bulbs for their kindergarten trip to McDonald's? All mother that worked with me knew to come find me. I just can't resist. PLUS, I know the poor mothers are the ones that are actually the ones that are having to beg, plead and cry for people to buy. I feel sorry! I don't like chocolate, but if you have candy bars for your kids high school band I will give you pretty much all the cash I have, and take the candy off your hands.....my co-workers LOVE it when I do this b/c it means they get free candy. I am not going to eat it for goodness sake. I am an even bigger sucker for BAND fundraisers. (Being an ex-band member myself), and last year I passed a high school doing a car wash for their band. There was about 50 kids, and it was 107 that day- in August...Pensacola, FL. I felt. SO BAD FOR THEM!!!! I know what it was like. Since my car can ALWAYS use a wash I went in. They were all soaking wet- from spraying each other to stay cool. Even the teachers. The teacher were washing cars, parents, younger siblings (there was a a toddler there with a little pink sponge!!!!!). I must have been hormonal b/c it brought tears to my eyes (goodness knows I NEEEEEVER CRY). There must have been 10 kids washing my car, and at the the end they put a daisy under the windshield wiper. After the car wash was done I whipped out a 20 and a 5, and told them I was proud of them. I thought the lady (A parent maybe??) was going to kiss me!! I just couldn't help! SUCKER!

The feeling is getting stronger as I get older. I just want to help. I know money isn't everything...but I know it helps! I recently bought some shirts from the local Ronald McDonald House, and I can't wait to get them. I also got a visor. The picture on them is drawn by a child. All the proceeds go to the local Ronald McDonald- YIPPE. Then I find myself looking....and last night American Idol is on and it is "Idols Give Back" I see the contestants answering the phones themselves........oh no..I LOVE David Cook..could I get talk to him...or maybe Brooke?? She is kinda sweet..........maaaan, now they are showing a toddler in the hospital hooked up to IVs from Malaria... everyone know LAURA KING is a sucker for sick kids that need help..........The smiling faces of the kids helped, and the promis that more money could help.......$50 could save 100 kids from malaria????? WHAT?? No way???? hummm tax deductible????
Sometimes I agree with Melody, donating and giving to people can seem a little selfish b/c of the high you get from it. Of course it is better than meth. ;)

Off for a marathon packing session......Lance is staying late signing charts and finishing up as much as he can before we leave- it is going to H-E- Double Toothpicks when he gets back as far as that gets back...

Love-
L

1 comment:

Don't be shy-tell me what you are thinking. Good, good,or good. :)

THANK YOU FOR LEAVING A COMMENT!!!