So I was sitting around the other day and thinking to myself....I have some free time-what am I going to do? oh, I know. I will get a second job. HA HA HA. I have SUCH an easy time getting it all done now (washing, shopping, seeing friends and family), so I will just add another job to the mix.
No, really, I am starting a second job. It is actually a really cool job that I am excited about. I am going to be working through a temp agency with a local junior college in their Skills Lab teaching 1st semester nursing students the basic skills of nursing. Bed baths, lifting, transfers, body mechanics, medication administraions (Shots, etc.) Catheter starts, etc. etc. I am so excited about this b/c I got a tour of the facility and it is HUGE, and so advanced.
Appearently they got a 1.5 MILLION dollar federal grant to build this place and it is awesome. It is like a hospital. Complete down to the room to get report in...although I hate to break it to them it looked more like a doctor's board room at UAB than a nurse's report room. HA HA HA HA. They had video tape themselves practicing their skills, and watch it on TV to see what they are doing wrong.
It goes all the way up to a full ICU patient that is on a ventilator and opens it eyes, and you can check for pupilary repsponse..the instructor is on another room watching the student on a video (that is recording for later critiqing), they have to listen to breath sounds, shock, insert IV, etc. etc. on the coding pt. Call thedoctor- all that. The doctor is actually the instructor. And if they do not have the righ information the 'doctor' hangs up on them.
WHat is really cool is that they have like 20 dummy that do basic stuff like that- one that does a full code. One that does heart sounds and breath sounds (rales in the bases, or rhonchi right upper lobe- YES, really THAT SPECIFIC.), and like 20 other ones that do basic stuff (uh, I don't know what excatly "basic stuff" is, but that is what she said.)
I have never been so impressed in my whole freaking life. I wish i could have had this in my nursing school. I would have been such a better nurse. I can't believe they have this at a junior college also. This is GREAT!!
I am SO EXCITED to be a part of this
OH, and here is the MOST AWESOME PART......
They have one that GIVES BIRTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For real. Guess what her name is???? Noel. They named her Noel, and she has a little tiny baby. It is in-freakin-sane.
I don't get to do all this cool stuff, I just get to help with the bed baths...but I will be in the same building. YEAH!!!!!!!!!
I hope all goes through.
Keep you updated.
Yea! I'm so proud that you are doing that! I totally think you should go back and teach....since you are the best nurse ever!
ReplyDeleteI mean, come on, you pretty much kept me from dying when you weren't even working! It's second nature to you!