Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Cookies and CHEESE






This weekend I headed up to Northern Alabama to brave the freezing cold weather. Everyone was worried that I was going to get snowed in- heck there were even rumors of snow here in Pensacola. HA HA. (although, it did get down to the 20s at night here. brrrrrr)

I had a hellacious time getting out the door, and then an even harder time on the road. There was at least one cop car/trooper every 30 miles. I figure it was b/c of all the people on the road heading up to Atlanta for the SEC game. Blah. All I know is that it was a booooorrring, long, tiring drive. I have discovered riding shotgun surfing the web, reading, playing the Nintendo ds, or SLEEPING is just so much nicer. Not to mention I forgot to get an audio book. Blah.

Oh well- it was more than worth it to get to spend the weekend with my friend Kay. It has been too long since I have been able to spend time with her. Visiting for a few hours is so different than a few days. It almost made me feel like I lived there! I miss being around my friends on a regular basis- friends that I have 'history' with. Doesn't seem like that long ago that we were making all the funny memories that we relive today. Hard to believe she and I have been friends for 14 years.
*cheesy alert* It warms my heart to know that I have been blessed with friends like I have. It is such a cliche to say that it doesn't matter how much time has passed- we pick up where we left off. We still know each other, and we still are friends. I know no matter what happens, that we will be friends. I am sad that my best girl friends live so far away, but I take comfort in their friendships. I know not everyone is as blessed as I am to have SO MANY close friends- that know me so well, and I can always count on. Thank you God- I am humbled by they way You have worked my friends in my life forever.

I am SO VERY blessed b/c Jami came to the Cookie Exchange also. (click on the word to see the pictures!) The funny part is that Jami and I met during the SECOND time she and I both took Algebra. She was trying to get me to explain some things to her. HA HA. Somehow we both passed (scary for her, since I 'helped' her out), and have been friends ever since. Someone asked Jami how she knew Kay- and she couldn't think how she knew her...and we figured it was just through me. I remember the time when I had all my friends in different areas- I still do to some extent, but that is b/c of geographic limitations. It is interesting that they now are friends on their own too (as much as their busy lives can let them be!)

Anyhoo- I went up there for The Great Cookie Exchange of 2009. Phew. It was a lot of fun, and it was good to meet other friends of Kay's. I helped get the food ready, and we cooked our cookies on Friday night.
We also learned a few things

  1. Always have a back up...mixer/cookie sheet/meltable chocolate
  2. Eat a big breakfast before you make sausage balls
  3. Always have a new/fun game for the kids to occupy them the ENTIRE WEEKEND!!!

  4. Don't plan the party to start in the 4th quarter of the SEC Championship...especially when the team most of party goers follow is the underdog...hasn't won a championship in 11 years....and is kicking ASS!!

  5. When a sister says to TRIPLE a recipe...you really only need to double it
  6. Don't start baking #5 at 1130pm

  7. Don't start baking at bedtime...when the poor little guy has insomnia from teething.

  8. Take more snapshots!!!!

It was wonderful, and I am looking forward to next year already...that is if Kay is going to feel up to it. :) I would definitely make it my yearly "McKinney Weekend" trip.

I left out of there Sunday AM so they could have some family time- and headed to my Mom's. John was there painting the living room- so I rolled up my sleeves and started painting. I am shocked that he let me, considering when I painted the rails on the porch I had paint everywhere. On me, the ground, my clothes, the cat. I was really really careful though. It is a pretty (bright) yellow now. The kitchen is the next thing, and I think I will be heading up there sometime near Christmas to help him lay tile. I must say- I am pretty good at laying tile. I swore I would NEVER EVER do it again, but it is amazing what you will do for family. :) John is in school, working full time, and remodeling the house. I think he gets more done in one weekend than I do in a month.




Here we are to today. It is gloomy here in PeCola. It is 1:30pm and it is still foggy. I shall take pictures and upload them.




I have cleaned the house and am about to get out the Christmas Decorations. I know, I know- it is late...but better late than NEVER, huh? I have had this Christmas Tree up since my mother's visit the 3rd week of November- so I don't want to hear about bah-humbug. I also have had a Christmas doormat out too. So there!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I am so glad you came and would definitely have it annualy if it meant you got you up here for the weekend! I love friendships that allow you to pick up where you left off, they're priceless!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy-tell me what you are thinking. Good, good,or good. :)

THANK YOU FOR LEAVING A COMMENT!!!