I have been reading a daily devotional, and I have been really enjoying it. It is called Voices of the Faithful (uh, I would underline that, but Blogger won't let me). The set up of the book is great- the dailies are compiled from nearly 300 missionaries that have contributed their experiences. Each month has a theme- for May the theme is Witnessing. Each day is a page, and each page starts out with a bible verse, then has a story, then at the end of the page is prayer to prayer based on what you just read. It has really been a great daily devotional, and I like it.
Today's verse was I Corinthians 9:22 " I have become all things to all men, that I may be all means save some." The story then talks about how as a missionary a woman named Janessa in South Asia stayed at her Muslim landlord's home village for three nights. They stayed at a relatives house and lived like their host family. They slept on one bed (husband, wife and three boys), with no mattress, as is the culture there. The food was prepared in a mud stove (basically a hole in the ground). They had to wash their clothes in the pond. She stated that the more that they lived like their host family the closer their relationship became.
What was really neat is that the host family has a 15 year old that came over and drank tea with the missionary and listened to a Christian music. The girl said "I have heard of that man."- speaking of Jesus. The girl asked to read the missionaries bible, and then asked to keep it when the missionary went back to the city.
How cool is that?
I will quote the book now--- When Paul said, "I have become all things to all men," I believe the meant for me to eat their food, drink their water, sit with them and sip tea, use their "squatty potty," accept their hospitality, wash my clothes in their ponds and let my children play with their children. I want to become all things to all men so that some might be saved.------
I wanted to share this because this really touched me. We are so quick to judge on so many levels, and this just shows that if we all just open our hearts and minds look at what can happen. Wow.
On another note totally can't wait until David Cook comes out with a CD so I can rock out to it. :) HA HA HA HA. I am diggin' American Idol this year. I am rooting for him to win, but NO I don't call in and vote. I was thrilled this week when I saw Maroon 5 perform on the show. I got their last CD and I love it, but this new single I like too. I miss going to concerts, and I have never seen them- but I just love them. I just LOVE MUSIC IN GENERAL!!! sigh.
see ya!
Sounds like a great book- much better than A New Earth- heehee. By the way I do read your blog even when I don't leave comments :)It is a good way to break from Theory...blah. Love ya!
ReplyDelete