Sunday, March 28, 2010

Treasure Hunting- Fun For All!!

We all loved a good treasure hunt as a kid right? Looking at a map, deciphering the clues, feeling so smart when you figured it out, the frustrating when you didn't (okay, maybe that part isn't so fun), and the THRILL when you find it!!!! You actually find it!

Lance and I spent a good part of Saturday modern day treasure hunting. With the help of my Droid. :) Most of you know what I am talking about b/c well- there are only like three of you that acutally read this blasted blog b/c I hardly ever update it anymore, AND the fact that I have already told you about it...BUT- we went geocaching. I don't know exactly where I first heard of it, but I THINK it was on the Wheres George website. There are many 'GeoGeorges' out in the world, and I think that I saw a report of one and read up on it. (it means a Where's George bill that is placed in a geocache)

Then of course I checked out what I geocaching was. There are HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS in our area. More pop up every few weeks. I downloaded free apps for my Droid and it was on.

When I went home for my Aunt Carol's funeral (I have a post on that in my drafts that I have on the back burner), I would use that as my distraction. I would pull it up on my phone as I laid in the bed and look at all the caches nearby- imagine taking her with me and finding them. I know she would have liked doing it b/c she liked being outdoors and camping. I know for as long as I geocache I will connect it to her. I think I find a green ribbon for her and set it free as a travel bug in a cache to travel around in her memory. :)

Yesterday was a great day. We were trying to figure out what to exactly to do- our "plan" and I told Lance I wanted to geocache, and go to walmart to get some container to plant veggies and herbs- but I had no particular order...I just wanted to meander. He was flabbergasted. I never want to meander. I know it seems to the outside world that HE is the one that normally has the plan, and I am the more flexible one (ha ha)- but in truth.......nope. I like plans when it comes to stuff like that. I don't like to just get in a car and drive around aimlessly. I like to know where are going, and what the plan is. I like to have it figured out, or you waste time. At least have an idea of what you are going to do if driving is involved!

Anyways we ended up finding 6 geocaches yesterday!!! It was so much fun. The very first geocache we found was a few weeks ago down on the beach- and that was a 'geogeorge'- wheresgeorge bill exchange.


The first one we found yesterday took us to a cool little park at the end of a road that at first we thought was someone's yard. It overlooks the railroad tracks and the Escambia Bay. So peaceful and beautiful. It was not too far off the path,and a pretty easy find. This would have been really cool to find if we had kids. Sigh. We dropped off our first trackable geocoin Glitter Gnome a Go-Go (hopefully that link will work) if not go HERE and enter tracking number tb36yfk to see where he is.It is hard to tell from the pictures, but all of the parts that are colored epoxy have glitter in them- that is why is named the way he is. :) Unfortunately I logged out 'find' of the this cache from my phone, so I couldn't put that I added the darn coin from that app. When I got home and tried to do it on the website it wouldn't let me. SO it doesn't show up as being in this container (it will send out a 'sonar' to people to come get it). I had to add a 'note' to say that I put it in the container. Hopefully that will be enough. sigh. If someone doesn't come get it in a few weeks. I will come get it and take it to a different one. LOL!

Another noteworthy one was the cache at Bay Bluffs. I didn't go down for that one b/c it was down a bunch of steep stairs and I 'crinked' my back (my diagnosis- that is exactly what is feels like) Friday while lifting laundry. I didn't think going up 250 steep steps would be a good idea. Anyhoodle- Lance went down alone- and had a blast finding it!!! The idea of geocaching is to not let everyone around you know what you are doing- "use stealth" "avoid muggles" are terms that are used frequently (unsure if they used the term muggles before Harry Potter or after).
It was such a beautiful day yesterday that there was so many people down at the banks of the Bay Bluffs. Lance used my GeoBeagle app to get within 3 feet of an odd looking stack off drift wood. He investigated..and voila! Here is what he found. He didn't take anything down to trade, so he just "TNLF"(took nothing, left nothing") and "SL" (signed log) and rehid it just how he found it.


The last one during the day was in a parking lot of a gas station/Dairy Queen right off I-10. There were a lot of "muggles" around so we had to use a lot of "stealth". LOL. So we acted like we just wanted to stop and take pictures of each other with the beautiful new I-10 bridge in the background. I mean who doesn't want some of those? LOL! We were also some of the most butterfinger-est people around. We kept dropping stuff in the BUSHES!!! LOL!!! We are totally lame- but it was so much FUN! We honestly have not had this much fun in a long time.



Later that night we went to Mellow Mushroom to grab some hummus (mmmmmm) and was chitchatting with a gal about religion(more on that in a minute) and geocaching (nice combo huh) and we realized there was one out in the parking lot. We went out and "noodled it"

Yup we fished it out. LOL! The theme of the cache was a fishing theme... it was pretty funny. Last find of the day.

Yeah- so about discussing religion at a bar. Seems totally cool right? HA HA HA.
I don't EVEN know how we started talking about religion to begin with (normally NOT something I talk about with random strangers b/c personal beliefs are just that- PERSONAL. ) She was talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking talking and talking and talking and talking and talking.............and for the most part I was totally agreeing with the content of what she was saying. Just not the length at which she was saying it...and the venue...and how I didn't really ask her to.......but whatever- I still agreed, and was okay with it overall. Lance was receptive and attentive so I was okay with it.

What made this train come to SCREEEECHING halt is when she started talking about her pastors just found out about new race of people from bones found in italy that is proven to decendents from angels and demons that procreated with humans. That this proves that the greek mythology really have truth in them b/c the angels and demons had mated with humans to create half human/ half celestial beings.

W.T.F.?!?!?!

Where in the HECK did this come from?

Has ANYONE else heard this? I mean honestly. How can two pastors from Pensacola find out this out? She went on and on and on about this. Ugh. I was so dissappointed b/c up until then I was thinking "woo hoo- maybe we have found a church to go to finally". She seemed so normal...up until then. I just sort of stopped listening after a while. She gave me her card for her church- which she kept in her back pocket. Lance asked how many people go to her church and she said a couple hundred, but that hundreds of thousands follow online.

Yeah. Sure. If that is the truth- then I guess I am going straight to h-e-double tooth picks. I don't believe that- and you can't get me to. Sorry. Sounds like good movie material- but not something I am going to change my belief system over.

So....what is new in YOUR lives. :)

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome! I can't wait for all 3 of the boys to be old enough to do that. I read about it a couple of years ago and have wanted to do it ever since.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy-tell me what you are thinking. Good, good,or good. :)

THANK YOU FOR LEAVING A COMMENT!!!