Saturday, October 3, 2009

Riiip.

Aaaahhh, it feels good to sit down- and not on concrete floors! My friend Kathy came over today and helped me take up the carpet, padding and wood tack things (do they have a name?) in the three extra bedrooms. I had the usual panic on whether we were doing the right thing, etc. etc....but she helped talk me down off that ledge. :)

There are really neat rolls of nasty carpet and padding on our curb if anyone wants it. LOL! It was a good day, and a good day spent with a great friend. I am blessed to have her. She is a lot like me in several ways. Number one- she is a girl. :) JUST KIDDING!

She bought her house when she was 20, and has done a ton of work on it herself. She actually took up all her own carpet and installed floating laminate wood flooring. She is now dating a guy and they are going to take up the wood and put down tile (he prefers tile). I am terrified she is going to ask me to help her in the future with tile.....but I will do it b/c I remember when I was laying my tile I would have given my right eye for help at two am. :)

I now realize how much work I actually DID get done on my house- and how proud I am of it. I did it mostly myself...well, with John and Will, and christi with the painting/sanding. I remember the sheets of plastic over the doorways gently waving when you walk by- the crinkle of walking on the tarp I have on the floor to protect the carpets.

I realize today also that it is a HECK of a lot more fun to do the tear down!!!! The day my mom and brothers came up and we tore up the floor (well, I think Will raked a half an acre of leaves, but anyways) was so cleansing....well until I found all the rubble under the floor joists. That was another 4 hours of work cleaning all that out. I am proud of the work I did in that house- the drywall my brother helped me hang, and all the buckets of joint compound I went thru , and the hours of sanding and sanding to only put more joint compound on to get the corner sharp.

I think back to the heavy ass backer board, and the knife I am amazed I didn't cut myself with. Speaking of backer board- I thank KAY for bringing me the muscle relaxers after I 'threw' my back out laying that stuff. All the time spent making sure I read how to mix the thinset just right, how to cut the tiles just right...and how to mix the grout just right.

I was a little miffed when I saw premixed grout in Lowes the other day. Argh.

I know realize why I took so many pictures when I did all that work- I was very proud. I am very proud. I did it. It was mine. Granted, I never really finished- basically a whole house renovation was to much for me to do at that time. I ran out of patience, and I didn't have a reason to really stay in Gadsden. I remember dragging Lance up to Gadsden one weekend so I could finish painting- he tried to paint, but was really torn b/c it was Sunday and the Steelers were playing. I now realize I was asking just a little too much from him at that particular point. :)

I don't really have a point to this post- just reminiscing. That bone tired feeling is satisfying. It is different than working all day, doing housework, or (God forbid) exercising. When you know it is from working towards something like your house it is a wonderful feeling.

I do thank God that there isn't THAT much to do at this new house. I wouldn't want to be to satisfied.

:)

1 comment:

  1. 1) They are called tack strips

    2) You did a really good job renovating that house, but I know you are glad to be able to hire help when you need it now.

    3) When a nurse, who is married to a doctor, blogs thank-yous to friends for bringing over drugs...Said friend really sounds like an addict. JUST BECAUSE I work in West Anniston does not mean I am a junkie! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy-tell me what you are thinking. Good, good,or good. :)

THANK YOU FOR LEAVING A COMMENT!!!