Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Thankful!

Recently I had a chance to go home and catch up with a bunch of my friends. I went up to wait on my friend Kay to have the latest addition to the McKinney household.

While I was waiting for Mr. Graham to show up for us, I went up and spent a day with the McKinneys. It is amazing to me how fast kids grow up. I have gone through that with my niece and nephew, but with Carter and Hunter it is a little different. I saw them come into the world. I saw their first little breaths. It is such an amazing thing, and it is so special to me b/c Jason and Kay allowed me to be there. Now Carter is a smart boy that has a personality that, in hindsight, was apparent when he was just a baby. Nature vs. nurture? A little of both for sure in my eyes. Hunter is just fun to be around- what a goofball!! I love them so much- and I am not even related to them! I hate that I am so far away, but thankful Kay talks about me so I am not a total stranger to them. My sister has always done a great job with that with Sarah and Stephen- it could be easy to let it slide...not mention faraway friends and family. Parenting is hard enough without including people that are hardly around. I am thankful to be a part of all the kid's lives that I love.

I also got to catch up with Jami, Randy, Patrick and Chase. Wow. TOO MUCH time has passed since I have seen them. Amazing. Sitting around eating Mexican food, drinking margaritas. Just like old times.....minus the kids running around, and the Mexican food IN the restaurant. ;) Never under estimate the power of naps and TV!!! Just b/c it wasn't the exact venue as our younger years didn't make it any less fun or special. It is the time I treasure with her.
If I could have one wish granted- I don't think I would want money. As we all know that is temporary. I would wish for my version of utopia. All my friends and family together in a small town. We would have pretty much everything covered. Doctors, nurses, soon to be CRNA, a vet clinic, restaurants, cars, pilots, secretaries, engineers, PTs, ah...the list goes on and on. See where I am going?

I got to drive a little bit around Anniston and go to my old ob/gyns for records. I went to the hospital I started my medical careers in for Graham's birth. A mini trip down memory lane. The only thing I didn't do was go up to Gadsden and do a drive-by of my old house. For some reason it didn't even cross my mind- I am over that part of my life. That house never really felt like a home. Funny that I see that now.
Graham was born in true McKinney kid fashion. :) They are home and doing good last I heard. It is amazing to me how one minute there is no baby- just curiosity on what is coming....the BOOM here is the little person- all his own identity that is yet to be discovered. I feel a special bond with the McKinney family, and I thank them for that.

Doncha love my double chin? Just trying to make Graham feel welcome in the world! :)

If I am down here and have a baby, I know that she will not be able to be with me in person. I accept that, but I wish I could share the same with her. I think pretty much everyone will have to settle on pictures. :(
I went Saturday to my favorite place..Buffalo Wild Wings, Hoover. I met up with Luke, Jenn, Tracey and some new friends to watch the Alabama v Tenn game. What a wonderful time! We had a blast, and celebrated Tracey's b'day. Afterwards we migrated over to The Ironhorse to watch Fly By Radio. I think this may turn into a tradition. We had a blast- and mostly it was b/c we were together. We could get together to watch paint dry and have fun. Just realized I don't have a picture of Tracey and I. Darn it.
I didn't catch up with everyone- but Rome wasn't built in a day either. I am not working as much, and that will allow me to get up there more often. I am cooking, cleaning and just a general housewifely. HA HA HA. We shall see how it goes.

Hope everyone is well, and Happy Halloween




1 comment:

  1. Awww....we are so glad you were there! You will have to come back by before I go back to work in January. Did you completely quit working, or are you just working less?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy-tell me what you are thinking. Good, good,or good. :)

THANK YOU FOR LEAVING A COMMENT!!!