Saturday, September 27, 2008

Anybody have any Butt Butter?

Every year Lance and I volunteer at the MS Bike Race (well, bike-a-thon, as it isn't a race per se.) It is held the last weekend in September in Orange Beach, AL- except if there is evacuations from hurricanes. I have done it since 2003, and Lance since 2006. It is a great experience and is it about to get better. I just learned that they are going to combine the Race with the Florida Chapter (this is the AL chapter that does this every year. They hopefully going to have it in May, and get all the FL bikers too. That is going to be awesome. HUGE AND AWESOME! We are going to raise a lot of money for a worthy cause.

Lance and I ride in the "Medic Wagon", which is actually a van. We have one Ham radio operatior (Amatuer radio), and we patrol the route for injured riders. This total of the race is 150 miles- 75 miles on saturday, and 75 on Sunday. On each day they also have a "short route of 35 miles or so, for the riders that can't go the whole way. It is amazing to watch the people return year after year. Both to volunteer and to ride. Everyone knows someone with MS, or somehow affected. It is inspring to watch the riders struggle, but not care- they keep on going.

I have not really known personally anybody that had MS until recently. A friend/co-workers spouse was diagnosed not to long ago- and it is so personal now. I feel so much pride for the riders that raise money, and take the time to drive down to ride. Some all the way from b'ham. Amazing. I thank every chance I get.

I will post more pictures later. I may edit this some more too. We leave tomorrow morning. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy-tell me what you are thinking. Good, good,or good. :)

THANK YOU FOR LEAVING A COMMENT!!!